Sunday, April 24, 2011

More on our arrival



We walked off the plane and immediately used the restrooms.  I thought it was strange that there wasn’t many people who did the same thing.  It was strangely quiet and no one around.  Then as we walked to baggage, we realized everyone else knew to immediately go to the passport checkpoint so we joined the masses and waited awhile to have our passports checked and then wait for baggage.  Then we went through customs and exited to a large lobby area that was jammed with people.  I was so tired and warm and it was overwhelming.  But Scott was ahead of me and he spotted a  woman in the crowd holding a sign that said Heavrin.  You had to bend down and talk really close to hear her because of all the people.  So she asked us our names and asked if Vivian had said she would meet us to make sure we were the right couple. We said yes and it was such a relief to be found by her.  She is a very nice woman and very helpful.   We found the exit and pushed our way to get out of the airport.  It was madness!
Anna called our driver Vitali, and he pulled up shortly.  We drove 30 or 40 minutes it seemed to get to the hotel.  All I wanted to do was fall asleep in the car, I was so exhausted.  Anna pointed out things on our drive.  We saw the outside of the Kremlin and Red Square, the statue of Lenin. 
About halfway through the drive, Anna turned around and stared at our faces.  She said to me, you look European, but Scott, he looks American.  We laughed. She got that right, Scott does look very American.  I was glad she thought I looked European, that maybe I wouldn’t stick out.
Anna got us checked in to the hotel.  She grabbed both our arms while she said goodbye.  It was a calming gesture.  I felt secure with her.  I was glad to feel that way, that she would take care of us. 
We went right to sleep, slept 5 or 6 hours. Its 11:00 pm now and we are heading to bed in a little bit.  We will venture out tomorrow.  The weather is warmer than predicted.  Upper 60’s every day this week.  We will visit the Kremlin and Red Square tomorrow.  Just passing time until Tuesday when we will have an appointment with the Ministry of Education to receive our “assignment.”  Then to the orphanage to meet our little one.  We are beyond excited, thrilled to be so close.  As we drove, I looked at every building wondering if we were driving by the orphanage where our child lives. 
Goodnight.  We will post more tomorrow.  Thanks for your prayers for us.    ~wendy

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting chills thinking about it and I'm not even there, I am soooo pysched, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you daily.......God bless you as you prepare to meet your precious child!!! God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been praying fervently here too! On pins and needles- so excited to hear more. Love you both! God's blessings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathe it in friends...breathe it all in. Love ya'll!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete